Railway Union Rugby Club
Our teams reflect our club vision and rugby in Railway caters for players at all stages of their life. We cater for players and members of both genders aged between 6 and 60+.
- Rugby in Railway begins with The Railway Locomotives, affectionately known as The Locos, our minis programme. The Locos cater for boys and girls between 6 and 12 years of age and introduces them to the ethos and values of the game in a safe and controlled environment
- Once our players finish at minis level and reach secondary school, boys in our community generally continue playing rugby exclusively at their school, whereas the girls from our Locos programme graduate to our U15 and U18 girls’ rugby teams
- Once their schools rugby days are over, our boys move to our Men’s U20s and then to one of our three senior men’s teams and our girls move from the girls U18s to one of our three senior women’s teams
- Finally, our retired men’s players tend to end up on Legends team. The Legends play two to three games a year, usually against touring opposition and it always tends to be one of the biggest social occasions of the season in the clubhouse. The oldest player to tog out for the Legends was Mick Dempsey, who played against Les Zespoirs of France in 2012, aged 82
- Retired players often return to coach, manage or lead, either at underage level or senior level, and the cycle continues