Railway Union Rugby Club
Our teams reflect our club vision and rugby in Railway caters for players at all stages of life. We cater for players and members of both genders aged between 6 and 60+.
- Rugby in Railway begins with The Railway Locomotives (The Locos), our minis programme. The Locos cater for boys & girls aged between 6 & 12 and aims to introduce the ethos and values of the game in a safe and controlled environment
- Once our players finish at minis level and reach secondary school, boys in our community generally continue playing rugby exclusively at their school, whereas the girls from our Locos programme graduate to our U15 and U18 girls’ rugby teams
- Once their schools rugby days are over, our boys move to our Men’s U20s and then to one of our three senior men’s teams. Our girls move from the girls U18s to one of our three senior women’s teams
- Finally, our retired men’s players tend to end up on Legends team. The Legends play two to three games a year, usually against touring opposition and it always tends to be one of the biggest social occasions of the season in the clubhouse. The oldest player to tog out for the Legends was Mick Dempsey, who played against Les Zespoirs of France in 2012, aged 82.
- Retired players often return to coach, manage or lead, either at underage level or senior level, and the cycle continues
Latest Rugby News
Our girls U18s and U15s train from 6pm to 7pm on Tuesday during the 15-a-side season (September through April) Our girls 7s academy trains at 7pm sharp on Tuesdays and Fridays during 7s season (April through August).
All ages catered for
We field male and female teams for all ages and cater for players of all backgrounds, gender, ability and nationality. From 6 to 60+, Railway has a place for you.
Our vision is to be an inclusive, community-based rugby club and have our club cater for players of all abilities, backgrounds, nationalities and gender. In Railway, all players are equal, regardless of which team they play on, their ability, their background or their gender. This is one of our core values. There is no ‘hierarchy’ at Railway, all teams and players mix together freely, and all teams get equal support from the club to achieve their goals.